Friday, March 28, 2008

Time traveler wisdom (IX)

The Wall of Time could possibly be a fence rather than a wall, I realised when I opened my mailbox and found this thoughtful testimony in response to my (by now notorious) Time-oracle question.

It comes straight from Jörg Kühnel, 32, who is a tasteful and eclectic DJ, as well as a booker and label promoter in Cologne, Germany.

Q: “What is Time”?
A: “I often have the feeling not to have enough time; therefore I am often late, as the density of those things I want to do is higher than the time I have at hand for doing so. Therefore Time is a limit of what you can do. It runs along whatever you do and confines it at the same time.

[Oft habe ich das Gefühl zu wenig Zeit zu haben; deshalb komme ich oft zu spät, weil die Dichte der Dinge, die ich tun möchte grösser ist, als die Zeit, die ich tatsächlich für das Tun zur Verfügung habe. Insofern ist die Zeit eine Grenze dessen, was man tun kann. Sie läuft am Tun entlang und begrenzt es zugleich.]”



Dieser Beitrag ist hauptsächlich auf Englisch, doch einiges an der Zeitmauer gibt es auch in der hervorragenden Kultur- und Verwaltungssprache Deutsch zu lesen.